Old Broads

Old Broads

Monday, July 25, 2011

FRIENDS! THIS GIRLFRIEND IS ALWAYS READY FOR A GOOD TIME

I met Margaret soon after I moved here and she has brightened my life so much.  Margaret is a funny, funny lady with a wacky sense of humor.  She has had me cracking up more often than not and is one of my most treasured friends.

I think the custom has been completely forgotten now, but especially in the south, the entire family would go to the cemetery and pull weeds, leave flowers and generally clean up the grave site of a passed loved one.  I remember going and doing this for my grandparents gravesite when I was little.  Our parents also admonished us not to walk on a grave because it was disrespectful and if we had to cross one to do so at the foot, never the head.  This caused so many traumas for me because I could never remember if the gravestone was at that person’s head or feet so I usually tried to walk on the little area between graves and if I had to cross, I jumped over very quickly. 

 Me & Margaret


Margaret was telling me that her family was at the cemetery when she was about 12 years old and ignoring her parent’s warnings about walking on the graves, she and her sister were just generally running amuck.  They were having a great time until Margaret stepped in a gopher hole and fell on top of a grave scaring her to death. She said she couldn’t get up fast enough, that she just knew that a hand was going to reach up and grab her and drag her down into the hole.



Wishing you Joy and Laughter Everyday!

No comments: