Old Broads

Old Broads

Friday, July 15, 2011

NOT SO FUNNY - HOW I SPENT MY 2010 SUMMER OR GALS, DON’T GO THERE

Now don’t expect a tale about cruising the Caribbean or a dashing romance ‘cause it just didn’t happen.  This was the summer of the “OUCH!” and the “My God that’s ugly!” and the “Is it ever going to get better!” 
I am a California girl, woman, (old broad) and I have worn shorts all of my life.  Now before you say “Euyouh” let me tell you that I have always had some pretty fine looking legs.  In fact, my legs have always been my best feature.  Seriously! 
A couple of years ago I began to get some really ugly varicose veins on my legs On May 24th I went to the doctor to and they shot a solution into the veins which is, no take that back, was suppose to clear them up.  I came home in those ugly thigh high compression hose and had to wear them for 3 days straight.  On the fourth day I could finally take them off, take a shower and put on the knee-high compression hose and wear them for several weeks.  “Well,” I foolishly thought, “This hasn’t been too bad.”
A couple of weeks later I noticed that some of the places where they “shot” me started looking like blood blisters and one morning when I put on the knee-highs they pulled the top off of these blisters and bled all over my stockings.  Oh goody!  Now not only can’t I wear the stockings but also I have to put band-aids on my legs.  After they quit bleeding, I took off the band-aids and started using antibiotic cream on those spots and they kept getting worse and worse so back to the doctor I went.  I thought the compression hose had caused the sores; he disagreed and said that sometimes the gook they shoot into the veins gets into the surrounding skin and causes an allergic reaction.  He told me that I was looking at all summer to get it cleared up.  Whoopee!  A whole summer, well how bad can that be?
Flash forward to July and I am back at the doctor because my legs are not getting any better.  He decided to open up the sores and dig around a little but promised me he would quit when I told him to.  Ha!  I was yelling, “Stop, it hurts!”  “Stop, it hurts” Finally I yelled “I said to stop it hurts like hell!”  He probably thought that I was going to smack him and the thought did cross my mind (several times) so he finally quit and advised me that it wasn’t “that” bad.  I said, “Okay Doc, you climb up on this table and give me that sharp pointy thing and I’ll show you how it hurts”. 
Another week goes by and there is no improvement so I called and got an internal antibiotic for 7 days and then another one for 10 days and yet again, another appointment when he told me that it wasn’t going to take all summer at all that it should look a lot better in another month.  I told him “Duh!”  When he looked at me questioningly I told him that it had already been two months and another month would make three so that was pretty much ALL SUMMER!
Now we are in August and I still can’t let any sun get on my leg because it burns like crazy and I can’t wear long pants because even the softest cloth rubbing against it HURTS!  AND I AM SO SORRY THAT I HAD THIS PROCEDUE!
I’m sharing this story and the (gross) pictures so that if you are thinking about having the shots in your veins, then you might want to think again, and again, and again before you do it.  Because, this summer really sucked!

And by the middle of September my legs are still not healed plus I somehow hurt my shoulder and my knee, don’t ask because I don’t know how I did it but my entire left side is a complete train wreck!


Just a little update for 2011.  My leg is healed over but I have terrible scars.  The doctor advised “Well, they are kind of ugly so just buy some cute socks to cover them up.”  Oh yes! And I paid for this advise.


Wishing you Joy and Laughter Everyday!

No comments: