Old Broads

Old Broads

Friday, July 8, 2011

ANOTHER BRIGHT IDEA - LADIES OF THE LAKE RED HATTERS

About the time of my girly phase I decided that I wanted to go out and play.  Remember the commercial for spaghetti sauce where a bunch of Italian women friends were running through a meadow and rolling down a hillside?  Think Mama Mia but with a little more flesh.  Well every time I saw that commercial I wanted to go out and play with those gals.  I wanted to jump and run and roll!  Yeah, not a chance with my bad back but I still wanted to do it.  (Can you tell that I absolutely loved Mama Mia!)

I had met a lady before I moved into the park and to see us together you would have laughed.  Here I am at six feet and Carol (a Carol of a different color) has osteoporosis so badly that she had shrunk to probably less than five feet.  Carol was a funny, funny lady and was always in a cheerful mood.  During one of our conversations I told her that I wanted to start a Red Hat club here in the park and she got so excited about the idea that I really started the Ladies of the Lake for two reasons:  so I could go out and play and act not-my-age and because Carol wanted it so badly.  Carol was at the first meeting and stayed in Red Hats until she passed away last year.

But back to the Red Hats:  What I hadn’t taken into account is that any time you get a bunch of women together then you have a vast difference of opinion about how things should be done.  Yes we had a lot of fun but there was also a lot of arguing and we lost several members because of that.  All in all, I think this has been a good experience for most of the gals and I am pleased for them.


Wishing you Joy and Laughter Everyday!

No comments: