Old Broads

Old Broads

Sunday, July 3, 2011

FRIENDS - LADIES BUNCO OR LADIES OF THE EVENING

By the time the next New Year’s Eve rolled around and I decided that I was NOT going to sit here by myself.  I thought about it and then it dawned on me that I was in the midst of a whole bunch of single gals. I called my daughter and told her I was going to have a party for the single ladies in the park.  Cat listened and then she said “and what are you going to do at this party?”  Well, darned if I knew, my bright ideas only stretch so far.  Cat suggested that we play Bunco and I thought about it and decided “Yeah, we’ll play Bunco” and then I even made it a potluck because all us old gals really could use a special New Year’s Eve celebration. 

I got on the phone with my handy, dandy park register and started calling everyone who didn’t have a husband or ‘significant other’ and before I got half way through the list I had 16 gals lined up.  I reserved the clubhouse for the 31st. and every one showed up and had so much fun that they wanted to do it every month.  So we have been playing Bunco once a month for 7 years now – and that’s how the Ladies Bunco was born.  (My choice for name was Ladies of the Evening but that got voted down.)  Some month’s we only have 10 or so but as word has grown, there are times that we have 40 or more gals.  Yes, we are loud and noisy and every time we switch seats several of the gals get lost but oh well, we have fun and that’s what it is all about.  At one time some of the gals decided that we were too noisy and yelled too loud when we got a Bunco, I guess they got a headache from all the noise, so we played a couple of times and when someone Buncoed they were very quiet about it and almost whispered Bunco.  Now me, being the one who yelled the loudest, finally told them that we are there to have fun and part of that fun is to be silly and make noise so we are back to shouting and laughing and some of us (me?) even do a little happy dance every chance we get.



My knee and my shoulder have been bothering me, what can I say I’m not quite as young as I once was.  So I went to Bunco just to take the gal’s picture and came home laughing because every time I said, “Okay, act like you’re having fun!”  As one, they all started talking and of course I picked a night when we had a very small group but I heard this morning that they had a really good time.


Wishing you Joy and Laughter Everyday!

No comments: