Old Broads

Old Broads

Friday, September 23, 2011

A WEEK AT THE CAT HOUSE

I spent the week at Fawn’s while she went to her high school reunion.  She said that she wanted me to baby sit the cats but I think that she wants me to fall in love with the idea of having a cat so that the next time she
has to relocate one it will come to my house.  NOT!  It’s just not working out that way.

You see Fawn has 5 cats, 6 when Cat Cat (the stray) decides to favor her with his presence and since I was going to watch 6 cats she volunteered to keep Gatsby while her granddaughter is out of the country.  Are you counting?  That’s SEVEN cats and just me to keep them in line.

Now cats are nocturnal meaning that they sleep all day and are on patrol all night.  On Tuesday, my first night here I didn’t get much sleep listening to seven sets of pitty paws roaming through the house.  Not only that but Gatsby has a bell around his neck and around two in the morning I was ready to chase Gatsby down and yank that bell off of his neck. 

It was around 3 am before I finally got to sleep and I got up Wednesday around 7:30 so YES, I was tired.  Every time I saw one of the little darlings napping, I had the urge to sneak up behind them and ring a bell.
It’s not as if these cats are spoiled but Fawn gave me special instructions for feeding them and take care of them so I thought no problem!  Three of them get their dishes put on the back porch, Cat Cat gets his in the kitchen, Muffie gets her dish wherever she wants it, Gatsby doesn’t eat wet food and the gray one, well when that little darling wants to eat, she meows and I am suppose to follow it into the laundry room rub it’s back and sing to it while it eats.  It meowed, I followed, I rubbed, I sang and it turned around hissed and made a lunge for me.  I ran (Yes, I can still move fast if I have to) and from a distance I gave that cat a little talking to along with some finger shaking.  We came to a meeting of the minds, she eats by herself and I don’t sing.

I made it until around noon before one of the cats upchucked a hairball in the dining room.  Thank heaven it was on the tile and not the carpet.  Now you have to understand that my queasy stomach doesn’t do well with warm, wet upchuck.  So I threw paper towels over it until it quit steaming and then cleaned it up.  Not too bad!  Ugh!

Cat Cat went out Wednesday morning and hasn’t been back inside yet but he does come to the back patio door, meows and wait for me to bring him some food.

Wednesday night I was really tired and just wanted to kick back and watch a little tv.  Each of the cats took turns coming in and demanding attention from me.  So on Thursday I was still tired but we all got along a lot better.  Except for Gatsby!  He is a young cat and really full of himself and he spent the day terrorizing poor Muffie until I finally had to give him a couple of squirts with the water bottle.  Amazing, how a little water straightened his young self right up.

Now it’s Friday and so far, so good.  I’m just not used to little people following me to the kitchen, to the bathroom, to the bedroom, to the porch and wherever else I go.  Hum, do you suppose Fawn told them to keep an eye on me?  It’s something to think about.

On Monday the hissey fitter appeared again as if nothing was wrong.  I did the finger shake again and she hissed again so I guess we have an understanding.  I woke up to find upchuck in the house but hey, the housecleaner is coming today so I very politely pointed it all out to her and went flying out the door home.

Fawn made it home Monday night and when I talked to her on Tuesday she was just amazed that I had so many problems with her darlings.  Go figure!  Incidentally whenever I am over there, that little gray fluff ball will come and wind around my legs and then hiss at me.  I guess she’s just letting me know who is boss.


Wishing you Joy and Laughter Everyday!

No comments: