Old Broads

Old Broads

Friday, August 26, 2011

FRIENDS TO MY NAKED RESCUE

I got up the other morning (and yes, that’s still a good thing) and eventually meandered into the shower.  Hey, I’m old and it takes a while!  I’m in there soaking wet and I hear the pipes in the wall sounding off.  “Humm”, I think and once I got the soap off I turned the water off and the pipes are still screaming.  “Humm”, I think again, “Mighty strange, I don’t think they have done that before”.

Like I said, I’m old and a little slow.  So I start to dry off and as I bend over to dry my legs my ear gets near the door and I realize that the screaming is coming from outside of the bathroom.  I threw the towel around me and took off through the house like a shot because I suddenly realized what I was hearing was not the water pipes but the SMOKE ALARM and oh my God, I’m standing here naked!  (Yes, I can move fairly fast if I have too.)   

I didn’t see any flames so I yanked that sucker off of the wall and no matter how much I pounded on it I couldn’t get it to shut up so I was just about ready to throw it through the window when I noticed a hinge on one side.  Well of course, once I knew the trick it opened right up and I took the battery out.  But then I’m thinking “Am I on fire and is that smoke I smell and why did this sucker go off?” 
So I called Fawn who rushed right over and found me outside (Yes, I did manage to throw some clothes on) circling the wagons looking for flames.  We came inside and sniffed everywhere but the smoke smell was gone. 

Well, I did click the furnace on this morning for the first time and maybe it was the oil and dust burning off, or maybe not.  But anyway that smoke alarm is lying on my breakfast bar and I give it a dirty look each time I walk by.  Once I actually picked it up to give it a lecture when I noticed that there’s a little gizmo inside that says, “Caution, contains radioactive material”.  RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL!  You’ve got to be kidding me!  Now this makes me feel really safe that the thing that is suppose to protect me from going up in flames could harm me some other way.  Oh well, I guess I should be thankful that it didn’t go off in the middle of the night.

Wishing you Joy and Laughter Everyday!

No comments: