Old Broads

Old Broads

Monday, August 22, 2011

FRIENDS - ANOTHER FUNNY LADY

Lynn is the other friend who is my age.  Actually she is a wee bit younger than me and never lets me forget it.  One day I was playing my music.  That’s Neil Diamond, Righteous Brothers, Cher, Roy Orbison, Abba (especially after Mama Mia), etc.  Now Neil and Abba are my singing and swaying music, Cher is my get up and dance (yes, by myself) music, but Roy Orbison just makes me feel good, really laugh out loud, dance in the kitchen, happy.  So while I was listening to Roy, Pretty Woman came on and wanting to share the fun, I called Lynn, told her to listen and turned up the volume really loud.  Can you believe that she laughed – at me!

Back to Lynn, she had a massive stroke and has to wear a brace on her right leg and doesn’t have much use of her right hand.  One day we went to lunch and I was sitting on her right side and her hand kept inching over on my leg.  I would casually poke her in the ribs, she would look down at her hand and using her left hand put it back in her lap where it would stay for a little while and then inch back toward my leg again.  She would apologize and said that sometimes her hand had a mind of it’s own but I just kept teasing her about trying to get a little too friendly with me We were laughing so hard that I’m sure she didn’t feel bad about it.
Lynn just needs a little help from her friends.  Most times I have to help lift her good leg to get in my car and when we are out eating she needs her food cut up for her.  It doesn’t bother any of us to do these things for her because she is a good friend and we want to be with her.

Lynn is another of my heroes.  I have several you know, women that I admire for one reason or another.  With Lynn it’s because she doesn’t let her disabilities get her down.  If I call her up and say, “Hey Lynn lets go to…” She is already getting her purse.  Lynn is usually always in a good mood and ready to laugh about whatever and fun with anything that we do.  

I have gradually worked myself into a financial bind and last year I finally realized that I’m in big time money trouble.  I so appreciate my friends because of their love and laughter but they also know about my troubles and that’s why they drop by with food occasionally.  My goodhearted friend Lynn took it one step farther and dropped off two gift-wrap bags on my porch just before Christmas last year.  She had bought each of my grandkids a digital camera because she knew that I couldn’t afford Christmas gifts.  When I called to thank her (and she also got a thank you card from both of my grandkids) she told me that she has certain charities that she donates to each year and decided that this time she would donate to people she knew who could use it.  I was so surprised and grateful for her thoughtfulness.

Wishing you Joy and Laughter Everyday!

No comments: