Old Broads

Old Broads

Friday, October 21, 2011

FAMILY – IT’S MY BABY’S BIRTHDAY

Every year on Cat’s birthday I spend the day thinking about the day she was born and a lot of time thinking about her as a baby, a toddler, a kid, a teenager, a young woman, an adult, a wife and a mother.  Yep, I pretty much relive her whole life on this day and since I was there it’s a flashback of my life too. We have been together for each of our birthdays through her life and I thought we were going to miss last year.  Well, let me tell you what happened.

Cat had her gall bladder removed a couple of years ago and her stomach has been bothering her ever since so Friday she went in for an upper GI (yucky!) and they removed a lot of polyps from (we aren’t quite sure where) her stomach, intestines, somewhere down there.  They put her on a bland soft food diet for a week and NO CHOCOLATE FOR TWO WEEKS!  Well, this pretty much shot any Happy Birthday Celebration we could have.

 I talked to Cat the evening before her birthday and she absolutely, positively, no way wanted to do anything for her birthday, she wanted to wait a couple of weeks and then celebrate.  When I got up that morning I was going to go over there with some birthday pudding or birthday yogurt or birthday applesauce but then I decided that if she didn’t want to do anything I should really honor her wishes.  Bummer!

8:30 on her birthday morning Cat calls and tells me that a friend is taking her out for tea and that was enough to put her in a good enough mood to ask me for over dinner that night.  “How much yogurt are we going to eat?”  I asked.  But she said we are carbing out with April’s Alfredo Sauce over Noodles, Inger’s Yummy Potatoes and orange or lemon cake.  Sounds good to me, I’ll be there at 6, home rubbing my tummy by 8 and happy because once again that we got to spend part of her birthday together.

Both of these dishes are especially good, we call the Alfredo Sauce “Heart Attack On A Plate” because it is so rich.  You can find both on the recipe page.

For Cat’s birthday this year, she had a Girl Scout thing going in the afternoon and Ray wasn’t feeling well so I had just Cat and the kids over for a birthday dinner.  We had been at Kohl’s a few days before and I found a book titled “I’ll Always Love You”.  It is a special little book and one of the lines in it is that whether you are a baby or a grown adult, I’ll always love you.  So of course I had to get this for Cat and I attempted eggplant parmagana with spaghetti and salad.  (It came out really good) and I made our favorite birthday cake; spice cake with bunches of milk chocolate frosting.  Good thing that we pigged out because a couple of days later she found out that both her and Ray have diabetes. 

Anyway, we had a fun evening.  Rob and Mags were chatting back and forth so we couldn’t get a word in edgewise.  BUT that’s a good thing because they are four years apart and it has taken until the last couple of years for them to finally stop fighting and become friends.

Just for fun, please leave a comment wishing Cat a Happy Birthday and I’ll make sure she sees it.  While you are at it Ray’s birthday is next week.

Wishing you Joy and Laughter Everyday!

No comments: